Baked chicken is such a versatile dish that I can’t get enough of it! I love chicken baked in the oven, but of late, I have been really bored with the regular types of baked chicken. I have done jerked, barbecue, roast, you name it! My oven is great! In a bid to also eat a bit healthier and not be bored I went to work in the kitchen! Sometimes this can be daunting when you run out of ideas and all you can think about is KFC fried chicken! But of course I resisted that idea and let my creativity run wild in the kitchen, mind you, all pressed for time in between work and running to an evening class!
I thought I wanted something with a crust that was also spicy! Did I say crust? Well my food needs to look pretty too and sometimes I feel as if i don’t get enough crust on my baked meats. I mean, the crust on fried chicken can be ridiculous sometimes especially from these fast food restaurants. hence, I decided to double dip and put another crust on the seasoned chicken thighs and boy was I happy! They couldn’t bake fast enough for me as I had to restrain myself from peeking in the oven! They came out and they tasted incredible! I was so pleased about this recipe and I had it different ways: sliced on top of a salad and then with a ketchup and mustard dipping sauce and sweet potato fries. It was divine both ways! Next time you want an easy baked chicken recipe, try this!
- 1 lb (6) boneless, skinless thighs
- 1½ cups plain bread crumbs
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground mustard
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp roasted garlic & herb (Mc Cormick)
- 2 eggs
- 4 tbsp water
- cooking spray
- In a small bowl, combine all the spices together and mix well.
- In a flat dish, place all the bread crumbs. In a separate dish, beat the 2 eggs and add the water.
- On a sheet tray, lay all the chicken thighs and sprinkle each one evenly back and front with the spice mix.
- Lightly rub in the spices with your fingers to ensure the spices stick to the meat.
- Line a baking tray with foil and spray with a cooking spray to ensure the chicken comes off easily.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line up the the chicken, egg wash, breadcrumbs and baking sheet in that order to form a production line.
- Dunk the first spiced chicken thigh in the egg wash, then the breadcrumbs and now dunk it back into the egg wash and then crust the thigh for the last time in the breadcrumbs to form the second crust. Lay on to the baking sheet and continue to do the same for the rest of thighs.
- Make sure to leave enough space in between each piece of meat so that it does not steam when baking.
- Lightly spray the tops of each piece of chicken with the cooking spray to make sure they brown up nicely. Bake for 35-40 minutes. Enjoy!
1. Handle all dry ingredients first so wash up is less.
2. Get baking tray ready.
3. Arrange dishes so there is a smooth flow on the breading line.