The Christmas season is upon us and people are shopping everywhere! This special holiday time is full of food, family and friends. I have been giving all sorts of gifts year in and out. Last Christmas was the first time I decided to give cakes as presents. I wasn’t sure how that would go down in terms of my timing with making the cakes and the frosting. I wanted to do something really nicely decorated but also quick and easy. But it was great and since it was so nice I had to do it this year again.
So this week I decided to go ahead and do cakes again to give out as presents. I really think people treasure something edible that is homemade other than store bought chocolates or other candies especially when they have everything imaginable. I think this gift is very customisable to whom you are giving the gift to. For example, I gave my friends with no children a Dark rum Chocolate cake with a Rum chocolate frosting with a monotoned design to make it look elegant and then I gave my friends with children plain chocolate cake with a white butter creme and a lot of colour on the little design. They were perfect! I was told that I have a fan club when my mom presented one of the cakes to her friend’s daughter! The impact of this design is strong and everyone will think you are the best cake decorator but they would not know it is this fast and easy!
Once you have the cakes and the frosting everything takes no more then 10 mins per cake. I did 6″ round double layer cakes with different piping designs in between and then a similar boarder on top to match. The sprinkles I picked up a variety set from the store and used them to create the very simple but fun, elegant and playful design. I used a christmas tree cookie cutter but you can use any that you have. Honestly this cake can be done for any season or occasion other than Christmas. Once you have a theme for example, summer, you can probably use a flip flop cookie cutter and use appropriate colours to carry through with your theme!
I suggest you use your favourite cake recipes for this or you can simply purchase cakes of the same size at the grocery store or bakery. What’s good about these naked cakes, is that little time is spent in icing the sides and getting them smooth because for some of us they take forever to get smooth or crumbs might get in from the crumb coating. No border to the bottom layer is even needed which is also great! Naked cakes are thankfully here to make this DIY cake decorating project fast and easy. You will definitely WOW whomever you choose to give these to and they will definitely gel very appreciated for your efforts. You can see my finished product on my Instagram: @gourmetgirlnd #DIYnakedchristmascakes
DIY Naked Christmas Cakes
Total time: 15 mins
You will need:
2 6″ cakes
1 10″ cake box
1 paper doily
1. Level cake tops to make even.
2. Fill frosting in a piping bag with a pastry tip of choice. Here I used a star tip.
3. Pipe stars on the top edge of the bottom layer cake then pipe the center in a zig zag so that the height is the same.
4. Using a smooth knife or cake icing spatula, spread a layer of icing on the top alone. Do not let go over the sides too much.
5. Using a cookie cutter of your choice, place on the center of the top later of the cake allowing enough room all around for a border.
6. Use your sprinkles of choice and sprinkle inside of the shaped cookie cutter.
7. Remove cutter gently and pipe a border around the edges to finish it of neatly.
8. Gently place top layer on bottom layer to finish the cake.